Sunday, January 9, 2011

Project #1 = Success!

Hooray! Not only did I manage to figure out how to thread the sewing machine (correctly, that is), I made my first project all by myself. Victory, thy name is a pillow!

So, the first hurdle to overcome was figuring out how to thread the machine. Which, the instruction manual, the instructional DVD and the box that the machine came in all proclaimed was "very simple and easy." If it's so simple and easy, why does it require 20 pages of instruction in the manual? The instructional manual was a tad overwhelming, especially considering that all the directions were presented in 3 different languages in the same space. It also wasn't too helpful that the manual referred to all fifty-something parts by their official manual terminology, which I hadn't memorized instantaneously. I decided to watch the instructional DVD that came with the machine, in the hopes that the visual aides would be more insightful.

Okay, so all we've got to do first is use the sewing machine to put thread on the bobbin. No problem. By the way, my DVD informs me that the bobbins are the clear plastic things which came with the machine, not to be confused with the 10 other clear plastic things also included. But that's alright, I know what a bobbin is (hence my pseudonym, in case you hadn't caught that). They are little mini spools of thread that go inside the machine so that every stitch has thread both on top and on the bottom of the fabric. Having the bobbin thread is kind of like sewing everything twice, so it stays together really well (as opposed to sewing something by hand). The bobbins that my mom had were metal, but I know what they look like.

Um, the only thing that came with the sewing machine was the instruction manual. According to that (and the DVD), I should have all these other utensils (mostly clear plastic thingys). It takes me a few minutes to realize the bobbins (and other thingys) are inside what I like to call the "glove box" or "secret compartment" of the sewing machine. I'm sure there's an official name for it, and it's probably identified in my instruction manual, but I don't care enough to look it up. OK, the bobbin is located. I watch the video on how to put thread on the bobbin, then chose a navy blue thread to use. Then, I "rewind" the DVD (is it called rewinding? It's not like there's anything physically being wound backwards) to the beginning of the scene. Pausing the DVD in between each step, I thread the bobbin without complications. The biggest problem I have is getting the thread through the microscopic hole in the bobbin, which is clear plastic, making the hole even more difficult to see. Now, I've just got to put the bobbin into the machine, underneath the needle, so that the machine will pick it up.

As I open the slot for the bobbin, of course I find that there is already an empty bobbin there. I would have noticed this earlier if it wasn't made out of clear plastic. I mean, the bobbins are practically invisible! Who thought this was a good idea? I can already foresee myself dropping an empty bobbin, finding it even more difficult to locate than a contact lens, and then finally locating it in a few days when one of my cats ends up choking on it! Since that disaster has not yet occurred, let's move on to threading the bobbin the machine. It's a fairly simple process of slipping the thread into the right grooves, until the final step in the video. The first example shows placing the thread into something that clearly is not on my sewing machine. I pause the video, rewind it, and watch it 3 or 4 times, about to panic that either A) I'm a complete idiot who can't locate a part on the machine or B) The directions are for the wrong machine. Finally, I let the video continue, where the narrator now begins to say (in a somewhat condescending tone, I feel), "If your machine looks like this" (video cuts to a shot of what my sewing machine looks like) "simply place the thread in this groove." In other words, if you bought the cheaper model, you need to do some extra work.

So this extra step can't be that complicated, right? Well, the only problem appears to be that the DVD wants me to put the bobbin thread through a final invisible groove that doesn't exist. There's also a picture on the machine itself, demonstrating how the thread should look if it's been put in correctly. After failing to locate anything that remotely resembles a groove, I place the thread is where the groove should be (trying to make the angle look the same as the one printed on the machine). I decide to move on to threading the top thread.

This is a much easier process than putting in the bobbin, mostly because there are numbers and lines with arrows indicating where I should put the thread first, second, and so on. There's even a fancy do-dad that threads the needle for me! How awesome is that! Now, the video informs me, since I have the inferior model, I must debase myself by combining the bobbin thread and the top thread myself. If only I'd purchased a more expensive model, all of these tricky steps would be done for me by the machine. But seeing as how this was a wedding gift, there's nothing I can do about it. This is the model I asked for on my registry because I didn't feel right asking for a sewing machine that cost more than our sofa. So let's combine those threads!

Hmmmm . . . easier said than done, instructional DVD. I turn the hand crank to make the needle move up and down, which is supposed to grab the bobbin thread from the compartment below. That is, it would grab the bobbin thread if only I'd put it in the correct place. Things start to get a little tangled inside the bobbin compartment, so I unsnarl everything gently and try again. This time, however, I place the bobbin in what has to be the right place.

Nope, wrong again. I get another tangled wad of thread, only this time, it won't untangle very easily. I'm trying to be gentle, but I end up tugging harder and harder, until something snaps. Now I see three threads instead of two. That can't be good. Even worse than that, my new extra piece of thread, which is sprouting from metal gears, is not budging. I get the bobbin and it's thread completely removed from the machine, then I get the top thread removed, yet there's still a random bit of thread where no thread should be. There's another second of panic. Did I just break my brand new sewing machine without even using it? Should I call the hotline begging for help? I decide to go the lazy route, and just ignore it, assuming it will come out with the other thread when I use the machine correctly.

I rethread everything, and finally coax the bobbin thread out in the right spot. I'm ready to sew! I've got some fabric remnants that I've cut into rectangles to make pillows, so let's get cracking!

The sewing process itself is pretty anticlimactic. The first time I make a seam, it comes out all wonky and lumpy on one side. Luckily, the video has forewarned be that such a disaster may occur. All I need to do remedy the problem is rethread the top thread (the easy one). Once that's fixed, it's all smooth sailing, and smooth sewing. I'm impressed with how straight my seams appear to be down each side. I know the basics of pillow making, so I've got the two pieces of fabric turned inside out. When there's above 3 or 4 inches left to sew up, I stop, using the U-turn button on my machine move back and forth to secure the stitches.

Now comes the boring part. I turn the pillowcase inside out, and stuff. And stuff. And stuff. And when I can't stuff anything else, I stuff a tiny bit more. Amazing! It looks and feels like a real pillow, except for the gaping hole that I need to close up. I think I'm supposed to sew it up by hand, but what do I have this fancy machine for? It's not just an enormous paper weight. I make an attempt to sew up the gap with the machine, which turns out pretty crooked and sad looking. Plus, there's a spot that simply too thick with stuffing and I don't want to risk breaking the machine by forcing it. So now I've only got about an inch that sew up by hand, which doesn't look too bad.

And here's the final product!

Please note, the lumpy, hand-stitched corner is intentionally not visible in this photo.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with my work. I've got more of this fabric to make a second pillow, which means I don't have to figure out how to rethread everything yet. I'm worried that my next attempt to combine the bobbin thread and the top thread will take me longer, as I seemed to stumble across it by dumb luck. I think I'll research some better techniques on finishing up the pillow. By which I mean I will literally Google "How do I make a pillow?"

Sew long, farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment